Friday, February 1, 2013

30 Rock: In Memoriam

Last night, I was one glass of wine away from tearfully live-blogging the final episode of 30 Rock. I told myself that if I waited 24 hours and it still seemed like a good idea in the harsh light of day, then I would do it.

AND IT TOTALLY DOES.

30 Rock got me through some tough times. Like that time I let my friend cut my bangs and I ended up with severe Rooney Mara bangs for a month.

 Except shorter

If I was at my parent's house, I would photocopy my 2007 Pool Pass and put it here. That is the only photo that remains of that dark month. You could say I was 5 years ahead of a trend that is too cool for me in the first place. You could say that. Or you could say that I made sophomore year of high school SOMEHOW more awkward.

You've done a lot for me, 30 Rock.  And now I'd like to give back. So may I present to you:

Candle in the Wind: 30 Rock, a Reflection

Come with me on a journey of the soul. I recommend playing the video below, then following along with my lyric-by-lyric reflection on a TV show that captured hearts and minds for seven years.

"Because I am a sailor. On the sea of the human heart."

***Warning: This video is live. Although I hate listening to live music on YouTube, Elton John is dressed like some sort of Colonial Amadeus sprinkled with stardust and I love it. If you'd like a different version, then I recommend taking your mouse and clicking over to YouTube and finding one. I certainly can't condone any other version but this one.***




Goodbye Norma Jean

Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself


While those around you crawled
They crawled out of the woodwork
 
And they whispered into your brain
They set you on the treadmill

And they made you change your name

[chorus]
And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind

Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in

And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid

Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did
Loneliness was tough

The toughest role you ever played
Hollywood created a superstar

And pain was the price you paid

Even when you died

Oh the press still hounded you

All the papers had to say
Was that Marilyn was found in the nude



[repeat chorus]
 
Goodbye Norma Jean
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself


While those around you crawled
Goodbye Norma Jean
From the young man in the 22nd row

Who sees you as something more than sexual

More than just our Marilyn Monroe.
[repeat chorus]
~fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment