Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ad campaigns that won't stop mimicking Old Spice

Everyone remembers the Old Spice commercials with "The Man Your Man Could Smell Like" right? This one:

The Original: Old Spice


After Old Spice released this commercial their sales increased 107%. So... you know. It was successful I guess. If you're into making billions of dollars. Anyway, if you're as obsessed with this ad campaign as I am, check this out immediately.

If you're too lazy, just look at this graph because it's blowing my mind right now:


The Old Spice campaign response videos received DOUBLE the views of Susan Boyle. DOUBLE. Does anyone remember how overexposed that Susan Boyle video was? Now double it. Thats the realm we're dealing with here. 

Of course, since Old Spice was so massively successful, every company wanted their ads to be just like the Old Spice ads, and then their sales would also double... I guess.

You can't put all the blame for these copy-cat ads on the ad agencies. If the client asks for an Old Spice knock-off... agencies kinda have to make them an Old Spice knock-off. Or lose the client. This makes me very bitter and forces me to scream at the computer screen when any of the following commercials come up:


1) Dairy Queen


Here we have some manly-type guy who is talking directly into the camera and performing things that would not normally be in the realm of commercial possibility. He's so cool and his company is so cool that he can SIT ON SUBTITLES?! What a world! He does all this while breaking the fourth wall, and speaking directly to the audience. Sounds familiar.


2) Edge Shave Gel (This one is so obvious that the video is lovingly titled "New Edge shave gel commercial rips off Old Spice")

**Sorry the audio is bad, this is the only video available. Edge must have deleted the others in shame**


I just... I have nothing to say about this one. Except that it is exactly like Old Spice. 




3) Pledge


Breaks 4th wall, looks at camera, one long camera shot, scenery changes behind him, all while he keeps one long conversation going. Also familiar.

-----------------------------------


It's like the Old Spice commercial showed other companies one way that they could market to young men and every company said "OMG I MUST ALSO TAP INTO THAT MARKET BUT I HAVE NO TIME TO DO IT IN A CREATIVE WAY. BRING ON THE KNOCK-OFFS, MY MINIONS. BRING ME A 26-YEAR-OLD WHITE MALE WITH BROWN HAIR. THEN BRING ME ANOTHER WITH A MUSTACHE. I WILL DECIDE WHICH ONE I LIKE BETTER."


And that's all I have to say about that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment