Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You're grammer is turrible.

I started writing this post and realized that I could write 500 posts about grammar/spelling, but they would be extremely boring and pretentious and nobody wants that. Lets keep it light, shall we?
I would like it made clear that I’m NOT one of those people that goes around correcting grammar all the time. In fact, if there’s one thing I hate, it’s petty Facebook or YouTube arguments about grammar. A-like so:

Person 1: Your a pickle-faced weasel-lover!
Person 2: Mlerrghhh YOU USED THE INCORRECT FORM OF “YOU’RE” AND NOW YOU ARE WORTH NO MORE THAN THE FUNGUS FESTERING BETWEEN MY TOES. YOUR ARGUMENT IS FOREVER INVALID.

 A small grammar mistake between friends is allowed. You come off as jerkface supreme (or like this dog) if you go around saying: “Oh you foolish simpleton. Don’t end sentences in prepositions! How truly wearisome I find you.”
Nice ascot
That said, some people need to get their act together. For real. I STILL remember when my 6th grade music teacher announced that “lose” (as in when you misplace something) is spelled “loose.” I immediately raised my hand and told him that he was wrong. “Loose” is an entirely different word. Much like “nose” and “noose.” His answer was, AND I QUOTE: “Oh well, what does it matter?”

WHAT. DOES. IT. MATTER.

There’s my issue. If someone makes one grammar mistake, that’s fine. They probably just didn’t notice. It’s the people that say, “Ehh who needs grammar? Bunch of nerds with their correct spelling and their pocket calculators and their Urkel glasses. I don’t have the time to bother with sounding like a competent adult!”
I bet he has excellent grammar
Here’s my thought. Grammar and spelling are not a choice. We don’t just get to decide that we’re above the English language. In second grade, I was mortified when I had a paper returned to me and I had misused “their.” Why should I be any less mortified now?

Ross, would you like to express my pent up anger?


Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to re-read this post about 10 times to make sure I didn’t make any errors. Peace out girl scouts.  

2 comments:

  1. I think I have an educated guess as to what inspired this post. :) Agreed on basically everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! GRAMMAR DOES MATTER! (Even if I do fall victim to making mistakes, I truly believe IT . DOES . MATTER . )

    ReplyDelete